Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
No.......

From Randy Oliver's site:
Does vaporization hurt the bees?
Radetzki didn’t note increased bee mortality after winter treatment. Heinz Kaemmerer of Heilyser Technology Ltd. says: “We treated several colonies for 3 months during winter, once a week with the vaporizer and all colonies survived.” “With brood, colonies can be treated with the right amount of OA 3 to 4 times, a week apart; there is no harm to bees, queen or brood.” Medhat Nasr confirms that vaporized oxalic is very gentle to the bees.

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
No. I marked open brood on combs in the broodnest, vaporized three times a week apart, and looked at the marked combs.
Michael, I believe you wrote that when you first used OAV, you were dissatisfied with the results. Have you had the occasion to try again and if so, your results..........

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Im still not totally convinced there are no adverse effects. Not dieing is half the battle, does the hive remain at full vigor. I would like where they compare non and vaped hives. Compare growth, honey surplus, etc.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Michael, I believe you wrote that when you first used OAV, you were dissatisfied with the results. Have you had the occasion to try again and if so, your results..........
I haven't Larry. Don't know why I had poor results. Treated two years in November with high mite loads in the following spring. Then the next year 3 times in September. Mite loads with alcohol wash about 20-25. A week after third treatment the mite loads were the same or greater. What would you think?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I am thinking of sticking with powdered sugar and brood breaks, I'm small time, and don't plan on expanding. I did have a HUGE number of mites right after the last huge number of brood hatched out this fall, but numbers dropped way down after a couple of dustings with powdered sugar.

My bees are VSH, well mostly. couple of generations since the original VSH queens

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Im still not totally convinced there are no adverse effects. Not dieing is half the battle, does the hive remain at full vigor. I would like where they compare non and vaped hives. Compare growth, honey surplus, etc.
When after OAV on larvae and eggs and the bees emerge from that brood and are healthy....

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
I haven't Larry. Don't know why I had poor results. Treated two years in November with high mite loads in the following spring. Then the next year 3 times in September. Mite loads with alcohol wash about 20-25. A week after third treatment the mite loads were the same or greater. What would you think?
Mike I'm not sure. Possibly:
The vaporizer heated the OA too fast and hot turning the OA into formic and carbon monoxide.
The hive was not sealed or not sealed long enough
The temperature was too cold

Lots of variables. Care to try again?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts