Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
When selecting frames to extract does the frame need to be completely capped from end to end? I noticed some of my frames are almost all capped but not the corners.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The advise i have received in the past is that if its uncapped, and can not be shaken out of the frame when held face down and shook, then its ready to be extracted.

You can always use a refractometer if your really concerned about water content.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sally, my understanding is that there are several issues that will determine if harvesting now is the best option.

If the honey should ferment, it is no longer good for human consumption. The point at which it could ferment is determined by moisture content, native fungal spore count within the honey and storage conditions. There are several nice papers available on the internet that go into this in significant depth.

If you will be using it yourself, no problem. Just refrigerate any that will not be used in a few months. If you will be selling it, knowing the moisture content is very necessary. If you get it below 18.6% water, fermentation is unlikely and more casual storage of the product would be possible.

I was in Palawan a few days ago. A local shop had local honey produced by Apis Cerana, however it had obvious sign of fermentation. Otherwise I would have liked to have tried it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This year I extracted some that were 50% capped. Nothing came out when I gave them a good shake, so I extracted them. They were mixed with some that were 80 to 90% so that helped. No problems with fermenting yet. The ones you have will be fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had honey that was fermented. In fact I purposely added water so it would ferment. If you have a lot that is a little watery then you can make mead out of it. For honey that I use as honey I put it in glass canning jars and it keeps very well. I do tend to wait until they are mostly capped as a little more time on the hive does not cost me anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts