Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple of years, I kept bees in a top bar hive. Long story short, it didn't work for me. Late last season, I tried to move my bees into a couple of Langstroths, and ended up loosing my bees before winter.

I have 3 deep boxes and I will be picking up my new nuc in a few weeks. Last weekend, I gave my equipment a look over. The two boxes that were in the sun (the bee yard) were fine. The one box that was left, with a little wax, in the shady carport was infested with SHB (truth out there, I actually thought it was wax moth, but I saw a SHB. Maybe it was both, I'm not sure). It was fine when I looked at it a month ago, but destroyed by last weekend. What a mess.

It was such a mess, I decided to burn it. Most of what was burned when into the trash, but the top and the queen excluder weren't so bad. I gave them a once over above the fire just in case there were eggs or something left behind that might cause problems later. I did the same with a couple of frames.

So I have several pieces that are slightly scorched. Not burned, but darkened and scorched, like a perfectly toasted marshmallow.

My question is, will the bees respond to this negatively? Would the smell of the wood give them the idea that there is a forest fire?

If so, what should I do? Should I ditch the equipment, or use it and "lock" the queen in the box for a while using a queen excluder on the top and nailing some hardwire cloth to the entrance?

I am getting my new nuc soon and it would be awful if they absconded because I put them in a smelly box that offended them. Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
People scorch hives on purpose to make them pretty. Lauri does her's that way and they are the best looking hives I've ever seen.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well fabulous. We are all set for a new season.

Michael, I've been watching your videos this morning. I have converted the frames with popsicle sticks and am going to try the Langstroth without foundations. The nuc I am buying will have 5 frames with foundation. I'll put them in my slightly scorched hive box with the remaining frames with popsicle sticks and am anxious to have a better experience this time around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts