Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the pollen count coincide with the nectar flow? What I'm asking is does a high pollen count equal a high nectar flow and proportionately a low pollen count equal a low nectar flow?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
No, but w/out the pollen coming in, you won't have future honey stored. Pollen now should equal bees later.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My understanding is that the pollen count measures the light, dusty wind-born pollen that occasionally make life a hell for people like me. The pollen collected by our bees is a heavier, tacky pollen. Unless the timing of the different plants that produce the two types coincide in their production of pollen, I don't know how there would be a connection between the announced pollen counts and bee pollen.

That's my understanding, anyway.

Wayne

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm new, but was told to do a "shake" test when inspecting your hive. Take a frame, hold it over the deep and give it one good shake. Lots of nectar should fly off onto the hive if you have a good flow going on. If not, might need to add a feeder.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Or, if you don't have any other reason to open your hive, but you want to know whether the bees are bringing in nectar or not, get close to your hives and sniff the air. You'd be surprised at what you can pick up w/ your nose.

And then, watch the bees as they leave and return. Notice how the ones leaving look and then notice how much larger the returning bees look. They appear chubbier and less air worthy, less able to easily navigate landing and entering the hive.

Bee patient Grasshopper.

·
Registered
536 Posts
when the bees are working a flow they look like jets taking off they are flying so fast! so if you see bees leaving the hive in a straight line like a rocket they are onto a good flow

frazz

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Right frazzle. And if they are really working a flow you can stand in the middle fo a beeyard sans veil or suit and they are too busy getting to those flowers to bother you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's one of things I love watching the most with bees, Early morning with the sun at just the right angle to catch the bees wings and the bees flat out working a flow.

This is going to sound real wierd but I also love to watch them in that same light when they are "doing poos" for want of a better way of putting it! how they do that sort of wiggle in the air as it comes out! lol.

And what about standing by a hive as it swarms when they come piling out and whizzing all around you ! just so cool :)

frazz

·
Registered
536 Posts
Beekeeper1756
When you say pollen count do you meant the pollen count in the honey itself or are you talking about pollen in a pollen trap or something else?

frazz

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
frazzle, not to speak for him, and i don't know if this is what he means, but often when the weather forecast comes on the television, a pollen count for the day is given. Parts per million of pollen, I assume. Or some such thing.

But I'm not sure if that is what was being refered to or not. Perhaps we will find out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm talking about the pollen count that is given by the national weather service for any zipcode or location you input. Earlier in the spring when the honeyflow was on big time, I checked the national weather service and the pollen count was upwards of 9.0, very high. Now, that most folks say the honey flow is over, I checked again and the pollen count for me is close to 0.9. That made me begin to wonder if there was a correlation between the plants making pollen in abundance and the nectar flow?

We are getting good rains that are not normal for my dry, arid part of Texas and this has me wondering if we will have an on-going honey flow due to the plants getting good rains.

We have lots of cotton around the area and I know that the cotton will appreciate the rain.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I'm just guessing, but the pollen count exists to forewarn allegy sufferers, I believe, so the pollen that is being counted is wind born pollen, which bees don't collect. Also, I don't believe that there is a direct corolation between pollen gathered by bees and nectar flows.

Just my best guestimate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts