Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has a good resource that I can read to learn more about behavior of queenless (both fully queenless and with unmated queen) hives. I'm observing pollen coming into a couple of hive splits and I didn't see eggs on inspection today. I've always inferred that pollen coming in means brood being fed, which I've used as a way to tell at a glance without opening the hive that it's a functioning hive.

Now I'm wondering, since I didn't yet see eggs- maybe the queens are just getting started with laying. Or maybe my assumption about pollen has been wrong. Would welcome your input.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
It is an indicator only. That said, queenless hives often can be seen collecting pollen. Light the smoker, suit up and go inside and look! When you see eggs or brood, leave a developing colony alone. Full inspections can wait until a hot still day and at that done quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
For me, it indicates that there's pollen out there to be gathered. As Vance said....take a look.....

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Like Vance said, it may be a positive indicator. I had a queenless hive bringing in pollen like crazy and so have many others. I think this was an observation only from long ago that has now become gospel. I think a better way of saying it would be the lack of bees bringing in pollen may indicate queenlessness. I would also say that a trapped swarm bringing in pollen may indicate that you got the queen. J

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
I've always inferred that pollen coming in means brood being fed.
It's one of them internet myths.

You know, one of those things someone thought up because it "makes sense".

Keep your radar out for those two words. When you see "i think the bees do (insert behavior), because it "makes sense" ". The person probably dreamed it up, or read it on the net.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
they will bring pollen in if they 'think' there is a queen on the way, like with supercedure and after swarming, at least until the broodnest gets plugged out with pollen, and/or if they end up and realize they are hopelessly queenless.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Bees will store pollen => bees bring in pollen regardless of queen state.

That rule is not written in stone, either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts