Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read recently that Florida is seeking to address the problem of honey adulteration, ie., adding corn syrup, molasses, etc., and stated that even feeding your bees sugar water can affect the honey in ways considered to be "adulterated honey." So, my question would be, are hives that have been fed sugar water over the winter and early spring doomed to be adulterated honey producers? Does this mean we can no longer feed our bees and still label our jars as pure honey???? Any comments?

Of ginger root and honey bees..."

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with CB, Spring feed is used up before we put supers on. We feed for buildup coming out of winter into the coming honeyflow. I dont usually see them storing much of it either it gets used quickly. No more feed once the flow starts. I dont feed in fall we have a big fall flow (brazillian pepper) we leave that on them for winter feed.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I imagine that depends on how you manage your bees. If you have 2 deeps of feed for brood chambers when you super, where does it go? I would think there would be less problems with minimal stimulant feed in the spring, and one deep for a brood chamber.
We will be writing our administrative code soon in Wisconsin, and are concerned also.

Roland

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Thats why I give little honey bears for wedding gifts with a little note that says-"Take me with on your honeymoon":D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts