Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine asked about the possibility of replacing part of a veil with a piece of clear plastic. I can easily picture a replacement face shield lens cut and glued into a veil/hood, but I can easily picture a lot of things... :)

Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Not that I am aware of. What happens when it gets wet and burry or scratched. Hooded veils are hot enuf w/out the solar gain of plastic. But I'd probably give it a try if you built one.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For someone with one or two hives it might be OK. Scratches can be polished out easy enough and I'm thinking that there might be enough ventilation to avoid fogging during most of the year.

I don't have anything I'm willing to slice up for an experiment but it might warrant a little investigation.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Have you ever tried polishing scratches from a plastic shield? I get scratches on my glasses. My optomotrist doesn't try to polish them away.

Your title was about "visor"s? Did you mean visor or did you mean shield, like wind shield, something to look through? Just asking for clarification. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have you ever tried polishing scratches from a plastic shield? I get scratches on my glasses. My optomotrist doesn't try to polish them away.

Your title was about "visor"s? Did you mean visor or did you mean shield, like wind shield, something to look through? Just asking for clarification. Thanks.
I have removed scratches from clear plastic, but not from a face shield (it would be replaced). Some auto-body wet and dry papers are as fine as 2000 grit. Followed with a fine polish, scratches will be gone.

Removing material from your eyeglasses would change the optics wouldn't it? It's not that the material can't be polished. I would think they were ground and polished when they were made.

"visor" was not the best choice of words. I was asking if anyone is looking through clear plastic inserted in their veil...

In any case a google image search of "face shield visor" will show a lot of pictures of what I think could be used.

To avoid scratches clear plastic pull-off sheets could be applied over the outside as spray-painters often use to renew their view. They get covered with overspray, and the painter peels one off.

I if I ever tinker with this idea I will use Velcro so perhaps the lens and screen material can be interchanged.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
:eek: This is weird, BeeCurious; not the idea, but that I have been thinking about something like this for a while also. I was somewhat reluctant to post thread because maybe it was just a dumb idea or impractical.

I wear reading glasses [medium power] almost all the time and looking through the veil becomes disorienting or really bothersome at times. My thought was a pocket or sleeve on the veil screen [no wires] where you could insert a piece of replaceable semi-flexible plastic. I like the idea of peel off sheets. Humidity in hot weather may be a problem. It's worth being tested. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Beecurious,
I too tought of this idea a number of years ago. But you seem to have more product development going for you than I.

I think you aughtto try to make the "window" about the size of a three by five card or maybe a band across the veil. Otherwise I would be concerned about the heat gain and trapping. It is hot enuf in those dang veils.

Good luck. Keep going. Maybe we will see you at the next trade show.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Our small patrol boats used a flexible clear shield that snapped into place. (male /female snaps) Might have advantages over velcro. The quality of the shield we used would not be acceptable, but I'm sure there are products that will work.
If you want me to buy one,,,,stay away from zippers:no::D

BTW,,,,,If this flys and u used any of the above ideas,,,,,I expect an invite to visit your island:D:D

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I tried it. I got my plastic from a sewing supply store (Hancock Fabric) but it really wasn't stiff enough nor clear enough for my satisfaction. It was inexpensive, thin and easy to work with (I cut up an old veil and used simple needle and thread to attach it to the rest of the screen on my veil). I've wondered if auto supply stores didn't have stiffer plastic.

There was a glare on the inside of the plastic. I often work with the sun to my back and the sun glints off the plastic on the inside. I switched sides and though the glare is gone, it's harder to work looking toward the sun.

Ventilation is not a problem. I didn't use it long enough to experience scratches. It was the glare that I didn't care for. Maybe it would work on hives kept in the shade.

Grant
Jackson, MO www.maxhoney.homestead.com

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ski goggles have plastic replaceable lenses. Most are now double lensed, but older designs, specifically Bolle, were single layered and came in various colors or clear. I use rose for skiing. Might be adaptable as an insert to your design. Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts