Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went into my hives the other day here in south central Alabama, 3 of my 4 hives were doing pretty good. However, I had brood comb between my deep brood box and the medium honey super above it which got destroyed when I pulled the boxes apart. I'm taking that to mean the queen needs more room to lay as the brood frames were mostly full of larva and capped brood along with honey and pollen. I don't have another deep with pulled comb to put on top of the deep brood box, nor to checkerboard with, but I am thinking about putting a medium box with empty pulled frames between the deep brood box and the existing medium honey super to give the queen more laying room for her spring buildup. Is that a good plan? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I am thinking about putting a medium box with empty pulled frames between the deep brood box and the existing medium honey super to give the queen more laying room for her spring buildup. Is that a good plan? :scratch:
I fill frames 1&2 and 9&10 with honey from the existing feed super + 1 more in either 4, 5, 6, 7 to provide a "ladder" You can then checkerboard the existing feed super with 5 drawn but empty. When the queen moves up to the medium, the one middle honey frame left as the ladder can be moved up, or to the side to keep the brood oval consolidated.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
I fill frames 1&2 and 9&10 with honey from the existing feed super + 1 more in either 4, 5, 6, 7 to provide a "ladder" You can then checkerboard the existing feed super with 5 drawn but empty. When the queen moves up to the medium, the one middle honey frame left as the ladder can be moved up, or to the side to keep the brood oval consolidated.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JW (and squarepeg for the confirmation)! I will put your suggestions into motion tomorrow!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
IMG_1852.jpg If you don't have honey, sugar works well. Spray the combs with a little water, pour sugar over the cells, and work it into the cells with your bee brush. Spritz again to hold it together. Be judicious with the water!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The brood between the boxes is almost certainly drone brood, that is where they usually put it.

Another box of drawn comb will certainly give the queen all the room she needs, just don't forget you are using it for brood! Check carefully when pulling honey to make sure you don't yank that box with some brood along the bottom.

I've also found around here that the bees like to put a row of drone brood along the bottom of the center frames in shallow supers in the spring. Usually only a single row, occasionally two, never more than half the frame in length, only the center four or five frames. Those cells get filled with honey after the drones emerge and are not used again that year. I've been leaving some frames with more than usual drone comb in the outer two positions on each side of the brood boxes in hopes of getting them to raise drones there instead, but it's not an issue for use when extracting, at least so far.

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts