Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 10 queen cages that in the past few years have had queens in them. Does a used queen cage attract bees when placed in a swarm trap? If so, I can add some of them to my swarm traps along with the usual comb and lemon grass oil. Thanks a lot,
Stavros

·
Registered
136 Posts
A swarm swarms with their queen . I would think scent from an old cage would be a deterrent .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But then why are bees attracted to queen-juice made out of crashed dead queens (soaked in alcohol)?

·
Registered
219 Posts
A swarm swarms with their queen . I would think scent from an old cage would be a deterrent .
I used queen juice (queens soaking in Alcohol) for swarm attractant so Queen smell defiantly attracts swarms. I wouldn't think cages have enough smell, but it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I had three swarms land in the same tree in exactly the same spot over a months period of time last year. Being curious about the exactness of this location I started looking around for clues as to why. I found everything from leah lines to it is not really all that uncommon for a beekeeper to pretty much know on what limb of what tree a swarm might cluster. Some of the comments suggest that it is the odor left behind from the previous swarm / Queen that attracts the next swarm to that spot. Tossing out the extremes such a hokus pokus and random chance. I find this the most likely explanation.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
This queen shipping box from Velbert Williams had bees from my hives clustering on it for over a week last summer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts