Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Langstroth
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's my question. Does a queenless colony switch to honey-making mode in the absence of a queen and new brood?

I have a 3-deep colony that became queenless about a month ago and I was only able to requeen it a couple days ago. During the three weeks in which it was queenless, the bees filled all available space with nectar and quickly began to work on three medium honey supers. As soon as brood emerged, they filled the cells with nectar. I added drawn comb. They filled it up. I added foundationless frames. They drew out the comb and immediately filled it with nectar.

And I don't see any sign of them letting up. My questions are these:

1) What else can I do to make laying space for the queen?

2) I realize I could be in the middle of a massive honey flow, but could anything else trigger this intensive honey-making behaviour?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Re: Deos a Queenless Colony Create More Honey?

Keep empty space available and they will clear out room for the new queen once she's out and about. Won't take them long.

If you are really worried, extract a couple frames and put them (empty) into the brood nest. Probably not necessary though.

Peter

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

Colonies that go queenless and don't replace their queen really can make a heck of a crop of honey. THey bring in a lot of pollen too.

·
Registered
535 Posts

It takes a lot of bees to take care of brood. If there's no brood then more bees are available to gather necter.
I think some people do this on purpose but it has to be done at the right time. If you pull your queen too early the wont be built up enough, too late and you miss the flow.
I tried it this year for the first time but pulled too early. Both hives filled 4 deep but didn't do anything in the supers.
Next year I plan on doing cut down splits to see if that works better for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts