Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a few bottom boards that have a slant built in. Just wondered if people slant their hives foward to help rain get out.I have always have but don't know if others do, or if it is not necessary. Maybe I don't need to build them that way....

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I use SBB's. So I just try to make them some what level. If/when I use solids I try to slant them a couple degrees forward.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is my first hive, so I have NO experience. However, all the books I have read suggests a slight grade forward. Mine is at a grade with a screened bottom board.

Since everything is an experiment this year... I'll have to see if that is the right thing to do!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If you use solid bottom boards, you need to slant your hives forward or drill and screen drain holes in the back corners. At least around here, where we have a lot of rain. Otherwise you will have a pool of water in your hives.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I try to slant them forward a bit too. But I`m not overly worried about it. I find adjusting the angle by using sticks or flat rocks under the pallet is easier than building a specially made bb.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I just finished perfectly leveling my hives with thin wood shims, because I just put on supers with foundationless frames, which i'm told do better with a level hive environment. I don't worry about rain puddling inside because i keep open screen bottom boards and will be leaving them open this winter. If I had closed BB/s then yes I would make the hives very slightly tipped forward. I'd be afraid the bees would propolize any small drilled drainage holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts