Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
When you see comb being built on top of frames, on the bottom of frames, etc ... do you always remove it right away?

I opened up one of my hives the other day and found some nice (what looked like) drone comb being built on the bottom of a couple of the frames. I didn't see any real problem with that and so I left it - I figured since I'm running all foundation, the bees probably need (or want) to build some bigger size drone comb somewhere.

Registered
I leave it. they'll just rebuild it anyway.They usually build burr comb as a ladder for the queen.They.ll build during a honey flow for ease of getting to the honey supers.The queen doesn't care to much for walking on wood she will but doesn't care to.If it gets in the way or it crushes to many bees when you put the hive bodies or supers on then I'll remove it.

Registered
I leave it, too. I just scrape one side, usually the top of the topbars. This way you don't mash bees or the queen between all the wax when putting back the super or other broodbox.

Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
>When you see comb being built on top of frames, on the bottom of frames, etc ... do you always remove it right away?

If it's not in my way and it's not going to mislead them into drawing bad comb, I always leave it.

http://bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#leaveburr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts