Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Syrup from Walter Kelleys Since i was there so i could try it out! Do you just pour it in the jar and feed it that way??(straight syrup) or do you have to add anything with it like sugar or water??? I did add Honey B Healthy to the syrup but didnt know if i needed to add anything else or if i could add anything else if i wanted to... Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i figured i would buy a 5 gallon bucket of syrup and a bottle of honey b Healthy since i installed 2 bee packages. After they get established and/or finish the 5 gallon bucket of syrup thats what im gonna go to is sugar & water. i just hope i didnt spoil them ladies too much...hahaha

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Did you get sucrose, HFCS 55 or a blend? If you got HFCS 55 you can add 10-20% water to it. That will give them more stimulation for comb building. Straight HFCS 55 is fed for putting on winter weight.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you get sucrose, HFCS 55 or a blend? If you got HFCS 55 you can add 10-20% water to it. That will give them more stimulation for comb building. Straight HFCS 55 is fed for putting on winter weight.
Yes the Product Description is:
HFCS-55 Enzyme Hyrolysis process. This is a 5 gallon pail of high fructose corn syrup! It would of cost quite a bit if it was shipped so since i was there at Walter Kelleys in Clarkson Ky picking up a bee package i decided to buy the 5 gal bucket since i was already there! I installed my 2nd and final bee package today with no smoke & No Stings, everything went great. There was several flying around the front entrance for a couple of hours but by the time the sun was starting to set thats when the rest decided to go on in. At first i thought they was gonna stir up my 1st hive which is 6 feet from the 2nd hive but it seemed like the first hive didnt want them to even think about it, So they defended their hive pretty well! My next question would be how long do you feed both hives since they are both new packages. I figured since they was new i would just keep feeding so they wouldnt take off to something better! But if there is a certain time to stop feeding thats what i would like to know??? Thanks for all the advice!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts