Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Do you let them use every bar or keep a few end ones blocked off?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  chkin11 
#1 ·
Do you let the bees use every bar or do you keep a couple of bars at the end (opposite the entrance) blocked off? Because if they build comb on every bar, how can you remove the end bar if it's attached to the side wall? Without the room to come in at an angle with a knife to cut the attached comb?

#2 ·
Justin, as it was told to me and I believe it is good advice that has served me well, when the hive gets that full it is time to split or start pulling bars of honey. However, every area of the country must do their beekeeping a little differently so also see what the bee keepers in your area are saying too. What works in Seattle might be really bad advice in Tennessee.

#3 ·
I use a follower that is cut down that stays in place as a last bar on each end (I use a center long side entrance). I use this so that I don't get comb attachment to the wall and it still allows the bees to get to the end feeders. I also use two regular followers (four total) with 3/4 inch holes in them for bees to patrol empty areas due to SHB issues. I built my hive 5 feet long so I would always have plenty of room for growth or even a split.

#6 ·
Thank you. I wanted to design the end feeders for several reasons. Being a new beek I wanted the hive a little more flexible while I figured out what worked for me. So this way I can convert to end entrances if that suited me later on. I'm in Texas and to say my bees are testy is an understatement. I have to wear gloves and gear or I will be stung every time. They don't pile out at me but the 4 or 5 that greet me always go for the hands and have no mercy. With that I wanted to be able to change out the feeder jar/s (real quick) without opening the hive as I get home after dark most days. These bees are productive drawing comb but I will likely re queen them when I can get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.