Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How do you handle the aftermath of a cut out?

• Always walk away, leaving them to fix.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Try to avoid it at all cost but if needed I'll recommend someone or MAYBE do it myself.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Ask if they need me to put it back.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Always put it back as part of the deal unless they don't want.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Always put it back, it's part of the job.

Votes: 6 28.6%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read both, just wondering the norm as I'd like to start doing cut outs.

Wish I could add one now that it's posted...

"Do what I can to patch it up temporarily until they can get a professional in there."

·
Registered
200 Posts
We repair after the removal, most often like we were never there. We (and our clients) wouldn't have it any other way.
Well said. Same here.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,056 Posts
Most times I do the repairs, but do charge for it. I have been asked afterwards to give price for fixing things back up, especially if there is a lift or scaffolding involved. I use to be a carpenter by trade so not too difficult to do most things and seal them up good. I will always be gentle when making holes and tearing out, much easier on me or others to do repairs. Only thing I will not do is paint, well maybe, money does talk.

I always go and look at cut outs first, locate bees if possible, discuss removal methods, pricing and repairs before any work is done. Always want the customer and myself to know what is expected from each other. We even talk about what if the bees are not where we think they are and have to make more holes.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
We do what ever the Customer wants. If they want it repaired like Beeman they don't know we have been there.
David

·
Registered
623 Posts
we dont do the repairs. well.. we have done a couple simple ones like putting back siding that came out nice. but, we tell the customer when we solidify the cutout that we dont do finish work and to please have some one lined up for the repairs. we also tell them that we will do our best to make it as non intrusive as possible with as little repairs needed as we can. but sometimes it just turns in to damage control here. some of the colonies have been in old buildings for many years and they get pretty bad sometimes. we always take the time to keep the customer aware of what we need to do along the way. that way they dont come out in a couple hours to mass destruction and are surprised.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
There is the legality issue of it. Some places you have to be a licensed contractor. If you are a contractor, then I would do the repairs. If you are not required to be licensed, then I would consider it. If you have to be licensed and you are not, I would make sure they understand they need to hire someone. It's precarious enough to be cutting into someone's house. I can be worse if they don't like the way you put it back and decide to sue or call in the authorities. You want to be perfectly legal if that happens.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
In my case I am a painting contractor. Seen most of the headaches. And doing more cosmetic than structure work. And know when I get in over my head. And have people I can call to help out. All by the hour.seeing I have no idea what I am getting into.i am not Superman as I tell people.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Doing the repair would be illegal to do here without a license. I will not always do the demo even. I usually offer none destructive alternatives such as trap outs. Then there is the person that has the garden party next week and willing to sacrifice his stone pillar on the front porch to insure the bees are gone gone gone. I have had the person that will make the repair tell me how they want it taken apart.

In all my part is to get rid of the bees. what that takes is usually different for every job.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There is the legality issue of it. Some places you have to be a licensed contractor. If you are a contractor, then I would do the repairs. If you are not required to be licensed, then I would consider it. If you have to be licensed and you are not, I would make sure they understand they need to hire someone. It's precarious enough to be cutting into someone's house. I can be worse if they don't like the way you put it back and decide to sue or call in the authorities. You want to be perfectly legal if that happens.
We bid for what the customers want, and most just want the bees gone, and do the repairs themself, or know someone they want to repair it. However, for those who want us to repair it also, as pointed out, make sure you can legally do it, and have insurance just for the cutout part regardless.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Around here you have to have a contractor's license in the bigger cities. Anything with a total cost of more than $1000 in city I live in is supposed to have a license contractor to do the work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts