Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a couple deadouts close to my one remaining hive. i noticed several bees fighting at the entrance and falling down onto the ground still fighting. would bees from the same hive fight or are these feral bees fighting with my bees? i thought that if they were all robbers, there would be no fighting. i think i its about time for me to dissasemble these hives and freeze the comb. i'm 99% sure these hives are dead. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
We stacked our wet, extracted supers cris crossed in a bee yard to let the bees dry them for storage. Coming out of winter we graded the comb for spring use, and preferred to handle them dry.

During the drying process, you could see some fighting among the robbers without there being any resident defenders. When the drying was done, the dead bees left below the stack were a small price to pay for all the honey gained by the robbers. It would seem that the robbing was a sound investment.

I wouldn't expect to see much fighting at a deadout. The fighting would take place inside the hive.

Walt

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see much fighting at a deadout. The fighting would take place inside the hive.

Walt
Last year I put trays of cappings and honey scraps out on the deck (second story). There were all kinds of insects taking part in the feast. What I saw odd was honey bees fighting with honey bees while they paid no attention to wasps, hornets, flies, or any other insects taking part in the feast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts