Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked on my nucs and found 4/8 virgin queens (presumably, there were no eggs laid so far and this is the mating period). None of them are particularly long but I've read that they grow after mating. I was just curious if they grow longer after mating or just thicker in diameter?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Hey Jacqueline. Good to hear you have queens. The queens I have did get longer after they were mated. They were still easily recognized as queens before but seemed to grow about 1/4" after mating. Are these from the grafts you made?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just my own observations, but newly emerged virgins, almost look like mated queens, then they slim down and look smaller. After mating, they seem to get bigger. Nothing scientific, just what i have observed.
I second this observation. I recently did couple batches of queen cells in incubator and most of the emerged queens looked like mated queens. By second day, they started to shrink. The mated and laying queens did look uniformly much fatter than emerged ones though (from same batch).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Newly emerged queens are a tad smaller than they're fully mated selves. Flying virgins are very very small in comparison to either. They're sometimes even shorter than a worker bee while remaining a little wider.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Jacqueline. Good to hear you have queens. The queens I have did get longer after they were mated. They were still easily recognized as queens before but seemed to grow about 1/4" after mating. Are these from the grafts you made?
These aren’t! Unfortunately all of my grafts failed so I gave every nuc a frame of eggs and let them raise their own. 😩 How are your nucs doing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts