Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are working a hive and it takes a while - you lay aside items (like a queen excluder - I haven't noticed it on comb/frames) with bees on it that they will use the bathroom on it?

I noticed this today while in my hive. (very bad timing)
Got to it late but everything seemed ok - bees seemed gentle enough.
But then after a while they were getting a little mean and I started taking knocks from them. I realized the sun had gone down enough that the hive was now is shade. So I closed it up and will try again earlier tomorrow.

Anyway - as I picked up the excluder I noticed the bees on it had used the bathroom. The bees also wouldn't fly off (I have assumed the bees that wouldn't fly are young and don't know how to get back to the hive).

Otherwise the bees appear healthy. They have built up well and the hive seems packed with bees and brood.

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Mike

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have noticed that bees will stay on the lid, inner cover and excluder when I set them aside. I have not noticed the bees using them as a bathroom.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I knock the bees off the excluder before I set it to the side. Just give the excluder a thump at the hive entrance, and the bees fall off on their front door.

I've had bees land on me and dump.

And maybe a bee took a cleansing flight over the excluder as it left the hive.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If somebody came to your door, hosed your living room down w/ smoke wouldn't it wanna take a dump in your drawers too? Yeah, I've seen a few times on the outside of the hive, I'm thinking I over did it on the smoker action eh? Cause I haven't seen it since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts