Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find this from my books!

My reasoning:

DO emplace the medium honey super on start-up of our hives, because this will be a part of the overall hive and because its presence will allow the colony to start drawing out its foundation;

and

DO NOT start the new colonies with the honey super, because the bees ain't-a-gonna be making "our" honey for some time yet; they have to concentrate on building up their own numbers and drawing out brood and "their" feed chambers; besides, the sugar-water frame feeder is a deep and thus obviously must be in the food super. To replenish that, if a honey super were in place it would have to be removed, with all that extra disturbance.

So - my ignorant vote is DO NOT. Now, assuming that is the case, when DOES one emplace it?

Bees arrive any hour now! Yikes!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Are you installing a package? If so how big? 2-3 lbs package I would start in 1 deep and place the second deep on in about 3 wks after install. That's when the new brood will be hatching and the population will expand. If you start them with to big of an area it is harder for them to keep the broodnest warm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Each of the two hives will receive a three-pound package.

Do I understand you to suggest we place the bees in and make use of ONLY the lowermost brood chamber; wait three or so weeks before affixing the first super (a deep) and then at some to-be-determined time the third box, which is "our" honey chamber?

As I am maintaining the room's temp at +65-70ºF, I would have thought that keeping the broodnest warm is not going to be an issue for me. Not so?

·
Registered
706 Posts
ok the first brood chamber what ever size it is don't put any more hive bodies on that till your bees have drawn 8 of the ten frames out, or 6 of the 8 frames out. then put the next brood box on and so forth.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As I am maintaining the room's temp at +65-70ºF, I would have thought that keeping the broodnest warm is not going to be an issue for me. Not so?
Are you keeping them inside a building with an exit(tube) for them to the outside of the building?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hey BEE, he is keeping them inside with an exit, I read his post a few weeks ago where he gave a brief description of the room/shed he built specifically for the bees to include heating (cold Alaska winter) and ventilation...sounded like a pretty neat setup and project...he put some time and $$$ into it for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inside - yes.

We have our bees! And it's late now, so we'll hive them in the morning. I wish I were not so unprintably incapable of uploading photos...I am very proud of the Bee Room I have created...

We really, really are looking forward to this venture!

PS: I can email photos to any volunteer who would then post them...:popcorn:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
In Alaska I would definitely NOT start with the super. I would put them in a five frame nuc until they get going and then move to a ten frame box etc. Extra room is not an advantage to a struggling package. They willd build up and draw comb much quicker in a smaller space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts