Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure this a virgin. I got into my russians yesterday evening and they were packed. So I decided to look around some. Long story short, about a dozen swarm cells, 2 emerged while I was in it, caught both, made 2 quick splits and cut out 3 swarm cells before dark. Had 2 of the swarm cells I cut out emerge a little later. Got back into everything again this morning didn't find my marked queen, made 2 more splits, All 4 and original hive now have virgins, so I think. Caught this one on video piping but she looks to be a little fat and not running around like a wild women.
Do mated queens pipe.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, yes! I don't have any surgical tools but I do have a box cutter and there is a cat that keeps getting on my car that I wouldn't mind parting out for sutures.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I have heard mated queens piping this year. I don't think I've heard it prior to this season. I heard one while I was doing hive inspections a few weeks ago. I couldn't tell which hive it was in, just that it was close. Until then I thought only virgin queens piped, but I checked all the other hives in that spot and they all contained a single mated queen. I never did figure out which one was piping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts