Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I released a mated queen into a hive that should have had a supercedure queen in it because there are no eggs two weeks after the supercedure queen hatched. The queen crawled off among the workers, who continued to lick her and gather around her.

As I looked at the frame, I heard a strange sort of high pitched squeak/buzz. I couldn't figure out where it came from, then I noticed the queen was moving again. She stopped, put her abdomen into one cell, then moved a bit and stopped. Hunched down on the comb, and again that squeak. I listened to that .wav file of queens piping, it didn't sound at all like that. I watched her do it a couple more times. Then she laid an egg. Moved on. She didn't do the normal lay, lay, lay thing, but then again, she's been cooped up for nearly two weeks.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
You guys are making me envious, I have never heard a queen pipe, guess that I had better start saving up for some better hearing aids!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've gotten queens from various sources this year and everytime I got a shipment of more than 1 queen they were piping away. My wife and kids were like "What is that noise???" It was pretty cool to listen to them raising a ruckus.

I got a battery box of 10 queens from tarheit last Fri and my wife said they were going nuts "making that sound" She held the box up to the phone and I heard it thru the phone while I was at work.

[ May 22, 2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Dan Williamson ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts