Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that laying workers can not make a queen, only drones. But do they try to make queens from the eggs they lay?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have seen them start cells around an unfertilized egg (from laying workers) but have never seen them complete the task or a cell. I think they quit once something triggers their realization that the egg is not viable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree. The bees are very frustrated when they don't have a queen, but a bad layer. They try to make a queen out of anything they can, but are unable to with an unfertilized egg. If you want them to make their own queen, take a couple frames of eggs/larvae from one of your good hives and put it in that one. They are already trying to make a queen, so they will use this good larvae to create one of their own. Make sure you use a queen you like! ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is this one way of solving the problem with laying workers? Just add a frame of fresh fertile eggs from another hive.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yes it is one of the ways to resolve the laying worker problem, add a frame of eggs, if that does not work, add another, and so on until they draw a cell. Its not a fail safe solve all, but it does sometimes clear the problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was just on a webinar with Jennifer Berry if the U of GA. She said to add a frame of brood also to get them busy in addition to the eggs and a queen cell if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts