Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bees for 2 years now in our back yard, and I have been thinking of planting an almond tree. This would bring the tree to the bees. Do you know if bees can pollinate a single almond tree, or do I need more than one? Thanks a lot,
Stavros

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You need at least two trees and of different varieties if you want fruit (nuts).

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The easy answer is two trees of a different variety that are compatible for cross pollination but you can also get self-fertile varieties like the all-in-one that don't need another tree. Some peaches and almonds will cross-pollinate as well since most are grown on the same root-stocks and they are closely related.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see--so really I need to different variety trees, unless I get the "combo" tree. I'll ask around in local nurseries too to make sure they grow in Atlanta. It's a long shot, but why not try? Thanks a lot,
Stavros

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Stark brothers nursery in Missouri carries both the self fertile and different varieties and should be able to give you all the pollination advice you need for your area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts