Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 PM on a 74 degree day. 10 weeks since installing the package. I have 5- 5/8 inch entrances. 3 low and 2 high. Do I need more?
30a55jk.jpg

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
No. One of my favorite hives as a single 1 and a half inch hole. I have never seen a time when they couldn't fill the sky with bees from that signal hole. If there is a heat issue you could put an outer cover over the hive with some space between the bars and the cover.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Maybe, If you see fanning they need a bit more ventilation. Generally its not the heat, but the humidity and a strong flow that puts them into fanning. You will also hear them chewing on the wood, you can see raw wood spots on the inside of holes. Hope that helps. I keep them as confined as possible until I see those signs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the quick replies beefolk. I slid the TP in front of the follower board over an inch to give them a rear ingress/egress port. They love it. I have 14 nice straight bars of brood comb but am feeling a little overwhelmed by it all. An experienced beek has agreed to come by to supervise my next inspection. I am psyched!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts