Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hive trap set up made from a nuc box with 3-4 drawn frames; i9n the past several days I am seeing bee actively. I have not seen a swarm, jut the bee coming in and out. I have an active hive about 50 yards from the trap and I wonder if the bees I see are from that hive and the bees are stealing wax. I watched the trap for five minutes and saw around 50 bees coming in and out of the box. What do you guys think is going on? How long should I leave them alone until I check the box and move if a active hive.
Any thoughts, advice greatly appreciated.

DF

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Nobody is stealing wax. The only way to say for sure is to look inside.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Check to see if the bees are bring in pollen. If they are bring in the pollen, then check the box to see how they are doing inside. If its a swarm that moved in and are doing good, then decided what you would like to do with the swarm trap. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It doesn't hurt to give them a week. Along with the pollen coming in or they look like they are coming and going with purpose, guard bees would be at the door. Scout bees could check out the trap for a few days before deciding and a swarm happens and moves in.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Do any of the frames in the trap have honey or nectar? Your bees could steal that. Watch and see if they go back to your hive. J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts