Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Carneolan hive which swarmed twice. It was the strongest hive early this spring. I waited three weeks after the final swarm to check for brood, but found no eggs or brood at any stage. I moved two frames of capped brood (one also had some eggs) from another hive so they could make a new queen if the swarm queen had not made it back to the hive or had some other problem. I checked 12 days later and they did not start making a queen from the eggs, so I assume they thought they have a queen. Most of the brood I had moved over had emerged and some were just chewing their way out. I found some open cells with larvae, but not a good pattern and I found no eggs. These larvae were large and, instead of being curled around horizontally (with frame turned on side) in the bottom of the cell like normal brood, they were curled vertically in the cells. Should I assume those are drones laid in worker cells and I have a laying worker? I checked for multiple eggs on the sides of the cells, but did not see any nor did I see normal single eggs at the bottom of cells. Thanks for any advice on what to do. Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts