Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NewBee. This is my first season.

I'm using wax foundation in medium frames. they are wedge top frames. My wires came out well and I adapted an old foam cutter to warm the wires into the wax. It all came out so nice I wonder if I should even bother putting the wedge back into the frame. It doesn't seem to serve a purpose.

curt

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am new at this but I believe the wedge would help the foundation to stay in the frames when you extract it but you migt other opinions.I would use it if it were me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you used hook wired foundation the wedge really helps hold it in when extracting. Weaknesses seem to always reveal themselves after a good spin.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Put them in. That's what they're there for. If you extract you will have a mess. I put them in for brood,too. Good drawn comb is too valuable to lose trying to save a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Put it in... the wedge holds the hook wires of the foundation into the top of the frame. Additional strength. Plus helps reduce/elimination blowout when extracting. There's a reason why the wedge is used even when cross wiring.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you're using straight wire you really don't need them. If using hook wire, they won't go in right if you don't use them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts