Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swarm trap sitting on my front porch waiting for me to put it up. Some local bees have been scouting it out the last week.

I finally was going to go put it up today and I see a bee land and walk In carrying pollen. WTH.

So I open up the swarm trap and there are a couple hand sized combs with bees working away. Maybe 500 bees.. maybe.

Are swarms ever just tiny?

I will probably just let them be for a few weeks and then move to to a nuc as an emergency queen.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Yes. Swarms can be just a handfull of bees. They are very slow to build and sometimes aren't big enough to overwinter after months of growth. Give them a boost with some nurse bees if you want the hive to grow.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Africanized bees have a habit of throwing off softball sized swarms in this part of Texas. I see two to six a year around my small apiary. They sometimes land near a weak hive, send in a few bees to kill the queen, then march their queen in to usurp the hive. European honey bees are supposed to usurp hives too, but much less frequently. I hope that bunch of bees works out for you...but personally, I'd requeen.

One such smallish swarm invaded this queen mating NUC. I was able to open it and rescue my newly mated queen and kill the invading queen. Sometimes these swarms stay a few hours and leave again when my hive is strong. HTH

Here are a couple more pictures. The usurping swarms here are usually smaller than the one shown above.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have had a few very small swarms that I was confident they came from a colony that was superseding. The old queen leaves with a few bees instead of being killed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts