Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in SW Mo. we have an abundance of cedar trees but i have yet to see a bee on one. I have 3 big cedars in my bee yard with hives within 8ft. of them and have never seen a bee or swarm on them, but i keep reading in some magazines and books that they are a forage for bees. Maybe they work a different species than we have? anyone know. Jack

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Just viewed the above website. Guess I'll have to watch for blooms in Mar, Apr, and May.

Ive been told the blooms are very small and red in color.

Lets not forget there are two other "commom" cedars, Western Cedar and White Cedar. Authors sometimes are not clear about which they are speaking of.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, red cedar is what i have in my bee yard. Know i haven't seen it in bloom, but i guess i don't know what i'm looking for. They are covered with tiny little blue berries that have a strong cedar taste.(heard the indians used to eat them):D. Jack

·
Registered
183 Posts
We are covered up in Eastern Red Cedar, here in South-Western Virginia and North East Tennessee.

Most folks here would place them in the noxious weed catagory, springing up anywhere that you can not or have not mowed.

I personally have never seen a honey bee working a Red Cedar or noticed a male or female flower for the bees to work.

However, the day before yesterday, I was deer hunting in a cedar thicket, on my place, and did see the dark blue fruit on a large mature tree.

Deer love them as cover and as a bedding area.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I see yellow jackets working Atlas Cedars in fall for some kind of secretion, not flower nectar or pollen.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ron, good picture. I don't remember ever seeing these blooms but i'm going to watch closer next spring. They would have to bloom or they wouldn't have the little blue berries. Any idea what month they bloom in? Jack

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ron, Looks like you would really have to get into the tree to see a female cedar bloom. Hmmmm, have you ever had those dry needles fall down the back of your shirt, they can drive you crazy:D. Jack

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ron, Looks like you would really have to get into the tree to see a female cedar bloom. Hmmmm, have you ever had those dry needles fall down the back of your shirt, they can drive you crazy:D. Jack
Yes, be walking thru a stand of large mature trees, in the dark, before sun rise while going to a deer stand, and have a flock of wild turkeys fly out of them over your head and see how much debris falls down the back of your collar.

The same goes for Eastern White and Virginia Black Pines, except with them you do get pine cones and small limbs.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>walking thru a stand of large mature trees, in the dark, before sun rise while going to a deer stand, and have a flock of wild turkeys fly out of them over your head and see how much debris falls down . . .
It usually brown and runny and goes down both of my legs :)

Seriously:
I have seen cedar trees w/ a red "rusty" color.
Wunder if that was blooms?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It could be or it could be sheding it's old dead dry needles. They have to get pollenated some way. The birds and animals eat the seeds and spread them over our fields and fence rows, i believe every seed sprouts and you have to control them.Theirs something about the smell and color of a big cedar glade that gives me a warm welcome feeling, i hope the bees have something to do with it. Jack

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have seen the Western Red Ceder with these berries on it. We also have a Pacific Yew tree that will have berries though I have never seen a blossom. I don't know if the bees work either, as last year was our first year as beeks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts