Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When there is no flow on do the bees in a hive move stores around? Have been seeing or think am seeing stores in one place on a inspection go back 7 days later some of the stores are gone filled with brood or a honey super has gotten heavy. Am I mising something? or is this part of the bees way to get there home in order.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Bees move stores around all the time. They backfill brood to keep the queen from laying, or backfill it while they raise a queen and then move it up into the supers when there is a queen they need to make room for. They are MUCH more likely to move uncapped stores than capped stores.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was under the assumption they bring in resources and the resources get put in a temporary spot, lets say the second box. then at a later time they move the resource to the third box.

And if this is in fact the case. two boxes would not be enough room. might promote swarming.

Anyway i think i got this from a Mr Palmer in Europe Video.

G.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Saturday we inspected a hive that was queenless a few weeks back. We combined it with a new nuc with, we were told, an "egg laying machine" for a queen. We also put a feeder on the hive at that point because our bee inspector said they needed it.

Two weeks ago, the top box, where the old queen's brood had all hatched out, was full of syrup, and we stopped feeding because we feared the hive was becoming honeybound.

Saturday, we inspected that top box and found three frames of the prettiest capped brood you could wish to see, surrounded by larvae in all stages of development. They'd moved the syrup elsewhere to make room for brood. Smart girls!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
like mr bush said. Nectar is moved readily moved as it dries. up down from bee to bee. However im not totally convinced dried honey is readily moved. Im sure honey is moved but not nearly at the same rate as nectar. More than likely honey is moved to produce brood.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have a hive thats been struggling along since it swarmed, am considering compressing it to a nuc. Do they move pollen too? This hive is raising brood, but its a mess inside, at least to me it looks that way. If they move pollen, then, I will feel a little better that they can straighten it out. G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts