Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

do adult wax moths overwinter?

4663 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Michael Bush
We have very mercurial winter weather here, with occasional spells of several warm days. Would a "clean" stack of supers put outside after a killing frost be vulnerable to egg-laying moths on the warm days? That is, can adult moths hide in some mulch or a dead hive, to re-emerge and lay when weather allows, or does a new batch hatch out each spring to replace all the (frozen dead) adults?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
<The "climate" inside a beehive is not that cold. >

That's the point. I believe the question from Ian concerned whether the critter migrated or just hunkered down.

Obviously they can survive quite well in an active hive.

I wonder how well they could survive without the shelter/warmth of an active hive - Re: stored equipment.

I found an old Nuc I left out with drawn comb. What a mess! Blankets of web and completely destroyed comb. - Approx. 1,000 cocoons. I didn't wait to see if they'd survive. I simply placed the entire nuc in the chest freezer for a week. It made for an interesting observation. The larva actually ate away a small indentation in the wood before spinning the cocoon, leaving permanent damage to the woodware. We reached temps around 20 below last year. I wonder if they would have survived, had I not placed them in the freezer.

Dale

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.