Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Yikes, you have forever changed my perception of being rescued by chopper. :eek:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
That clip doesn't tell the whole story. Normally winching up the stretcher a second line on the ground is used to stabilize it so rotor downwash doesn't get it spinning like that. Apparently in this case, the second line broke (information from an aviation related forum). The only way to stabilize in that case is to get forward speed on the helo so the stretcher gets out of the downwash and it can be stabilized against the wind from forward motion. Not always as simple as it sounds if there is a significant length of line whipping around off the end of the stretcher as it can reach the tail rotor if not very careful.

All in all, a fairly bad situation with a recovery where nobody was seriously injured.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Oh well, I couldn't see it cause I have never graduated to face book yet. I had fun reading grozzie though.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it might be improper rope selection might be the cause. Braided non rotating rope does not have a lay like common three strand twisted rope. I took that to be a contributing cause but rotating prop wash sounds like the better explanation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts