Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm a bit of a new-bee when it comes to European Bees (Second year with 3xItalian hives) but I just wanted to share a nifty little trick I figured out for making smoker fuel cheap & naturally using Paper Bark (it's an Australian tree).

First post/thread so here goes;

1. Collect the paper bark (obviously). It doesn't matter how old/new/dry it is but the newer bark rolls a lot easier.
1.  Start with PaperBack.jpg

2. Tear it into strips about the depth of your smoker.
2.  Tear and split into strips (approx depth of smoker).jpg

3. Tie some slip knots out of twine (don't use plastic - remember it's be burnt)
3.  Tie some slip knots (about the diamater of your smoker) .jpg

4. Start rolling a loose roll of paper bark.
4.  Make a loose roll.jpg

5. Join/add and keep going on the roll of bark.
5.  Join or Add a new strip of bark.jpg

6.  Join side view.jpg
(Side View of roll)

7.  Keep rolling.jpg

6. Once it's about the diameter of your smoker stop rolling.
8.  Check it fits snugly in your smoker.jpg

7. Slide the slip knot (from step 3) and you have a little roll of smoker fuel :)
9. Slide the slip knot over the roll to keep it together.jpg

8. I know it sounds like a pretty obvious "How-to" but this lot took about 20 minutes and has saved heaps of stuffing around with trying to get the smoker going well.
10. The results of 20 minutes.jpg

9. Burn a bit of newspaper and add your roll of smoker fuel (yes, it's very smoky but burns nice & cool)
11.  Light the bottom of your roll and place it in the smoker (so roll works like a chimney).jpg

10. LEAVE IT for a minute (just let the thing smoulder)
12.  Close the lid and let it cool for a tiny bit.jpg

11. Hey Presto! your smoker should burn for at least a couple of hours now with a little puff every 30 minutes or so.
13 Presto!  DIY smoker fuel that will born for a couple of hours..jpg

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Over here birch bark would work quite well with the method you've shared with us.I do something similar with corrugated cardboard,it's not natural but as you say rolling as you do really gives you good burn time.Good idea a lot of beesource people will really run with your idea.Excellent thinking on your part!I've always said I learn more from those who know less than those who know more.I wouldn't have thought of using much else than what I do if you wouldn't have posted your idea.Fantastic keep on thinking!Let us know of anymore ideas you come up with.I'm always open to new ideas.thanksand enjoy your bees!:applause:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Interesting!
I think I heard of someone doing the same with correlated cardboard. Easier to obtain if you don't happen to have an Aussie tree in your yard! :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Good ole dried pine cones and green grass as a topper...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep. That is the way I do it. Except that I use cardboard. Mann Lake keeps sending me all those big cardboard boxes when I order things. Charlie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over here birch bark would work quite well
Glad to hear it, I'm starting to think that rolling just about any bark into rolls might do the trick (providing it's not poisonous). The local beekeeping club out hear has a "How long will your smoker keep lit" contest - think I might have a crack at it ;)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You've a real good chance at it! Longest burn I've been able to get out of a smoker without having to keep adding fuel. Experiment with different barks and roll it tight you should win:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts