Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, want to do the best i can for my girl's, i am trying to find some plans on how to make shb traps that will not use any chemicals, i am useing sbb, but i was wondering if their is some type of trap that can be made to either put at the opening or under the top ? i have heard of using a cd case but did not get all the info on how to make them if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Terry

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Slide a tray in that SBB and put a shallow aluminum cooking sheet in there with oil from the kitchen. If you are only trying to get rid of SHB it will not work as the Varroa will die in the tray too. They sell a tray that holds oil for about $20 but the $2 leaves me more for other bee adventures. I tried the traps that go between and in frames but the tray on the bottom does not spill into the hive and I like killing Varroa as much as small hive beetles. It is the Marine in me!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Take a cd case(the really cheap thin ones, I think) and snap the three tabs out that hold the cd in place with a needle nose pliers. Put a dollop of pollen sub in the case, close it and put it on the top bars and/or bottom board. I think they like the heat on the top bars? Empty it into a bucket of ice water whenever you go in the hive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts