Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! Newbie here. I have my first 2 nucs coming the 2nd week of May. I know there are other build threads out there but I'm just showing what I did. I kinda reverse engineered the varrox wand sold online in many places. I love building and creating so I made this vaporizer out of 1/2 aluminum flat stock and other junk I had laying around. Simply milled a 1-1/16" pocket to hold the OA. Drlled and tapped a 1/4"-20 hole centered on edge. Then drilled a 5/16" hole on edge adjacent to the center hole in order to accept a heating element.

For the heating element, I used a 12v 6mm x 20mm ceramic element used in 3D printers. A 3 pack of elements was $8. I went this route for 2 reasons. A) I was worried a diesel glow plug would may melt or distort the thin aluminum and B) cost.

Maiden test of this thing took approx 2 minutes to heat the OA to sublimation. It then took an additional 6 minutes to completely vaporize 1/2 tsp of OA powder.

I'm hopeful it'll be effective when time comes to treat my colonies.

I can post a link to heating elements I used if interested. God bless y'all!

Plant Flower Road surface Grass Asphalt
Plant Road surface Flower Door Grass

·
Registered
587 Posts
that looks great, let us know how it works out in the hive

Reactions: JonnyE
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.