Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say that i got two nucs shipped up to me from Don and they are doing great. Don and his wife were always very friendly on the phone and the hives are really building comb and growing fast. I was really happy with dealing with them and would reccomend them to anyone.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Me too!
I got my two nucs a week early from Don in GA, shipped to me in NY, I hived them 6 weeks ago....and they are SO healthy, gentle, and just doing great! I think they've tripled by now. I love these bees. I put their second brood boxes on last week.

In fact, I just did a varroa check today on them. Yesterday i pulled out the two 'varroa bait' drone frames I had put in the two hives... they were full of capped drones, and I froze them overnight. Today I thawed them and pulled out drone pupae to check for mites and found just ONE mite on about 30 drone pupae. Can't get much better than that. I took pictures and will post something later. Plus, no SHB arrived with the bees.

Don "FatBeeMan" Kuchenmeister of Dixie Bee supply....AAA+++ :D :thumbsup:
http://www.fatbeeman.com/

·
Registered
712 Posts
In fact, I just did a varroa check today on them. Yesterday i pulled out the two 'varroa bait' drone frames I had put in the two hives... they were full of capped drones, and I froze them overnight. Today I thawed them and pulled out drone pupae to check for mites and found just ONE mite on about 30 drone pupae. Can't get much better than that.

Omie, when you freeze a frame of drone brood the mites go to the bottom of the cell next to the midrib to escape the cold since this is the last place to freeze. Look carefully in the bottom of cells after pulling out drones and you will probably find mites.

Johnny

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Omie, when you freeze a frame of drone brood the mites go to the bottom of the cell next to the midrib to escape the cold since this is the last place to freeze. Look carefully in the bottom of cells after pulling out drones and you will probably find mites.
Johnny
Thanks... I did look into the cells after pulling the pupae, with a magnifying glass and flashlight, out of curiosity. No mites there. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts