Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any pros or cons on using the 2 gallon Mann Lake division board feeders with the cap and ladder system in a double deep set-up? I am tired of lugging around buckets and jars and dealing with leakers. I have had vandals use my feeder buckets and jars for target practice twice at 2 different bee yards in the past year so an internal feeder would be out of sight.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just bought the Mann Lake feeders this year - so far I like them very much. I just have 3 hives, but I don't have to fill them as often, nor do I worry about the burr comb too much. The bees seem to have adapted to the ladders very well. The only problem I had is that I was using older deeps, and with the 2 gallon feeder installed, there was not enough room to have the full 8 frames in place. (It takes the place of 2 frames). I ended up getting new deeps, which fit well, or you could just run 7 frames.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've tried em all. We run 2100 hives. Had round gallon jugs for a while, Just as soon as emty the wind blew them all over the place. Had metal cans, they don't last very long if yo u don't wax coat the inside, Kind of a pain to fill the small hole. Tried 2 gallon buckets, just took to long for bees to use them out. We are now 100% 1 gallon inside division board feeders. Mann lake has best quality plastic. They cover and ladder system is still in need of some perfection so we just run open top and dealwith the burcomb and water. Now I can feed and move bees the next day. When you need to feed a pump and hose setup is all you need to feed a lot of bees in a hurry . No more wasted space in my shop storing cans. We will not go back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts