Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scoop. I'm an experienced beekeeper (in the philippines) but this is the first year for me in the pacific northwest. I bought two packages af bees this spring and although we have been plagued with bad weather this spring the hives are doing well. My lust for honey and more work in the bee yard (2 hives just don't do it for me) has got me preparing to make several nucs for queen rearing.

Because of the fact that I am working with new hives with a relatively small population of bees (and I would like to get SOME surplus honey this year I am wondering when would be the best time to start stealing frames of food/brood/and eggs to facilitate the nucs?

I don't want my hives dying off this winter. Would it be best to wait until spring and feed syrup and pollen substitute?

My philippino bees (bless their hearts) had no idea what "winter" was so we essentially always managed the hives like it was spring.

LAstly, due people feed syrup or pollen substitute to their nukes in this area?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sir,

good day.

this message is quite long ago..anyway, just want to know if you are still activiting this message..i am from philippines, a filipino, can i have a communication with you for me to learn more about bee keeping. thanks..

jolly jae o

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think your too far north to divide all year long ...mainly because of lack of drones if you plan on raising your own queens and because of winter weather.The best thing would be to wait till spring and feed heavy to get max. build up then divide and continue feeding the nucs or divides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts