Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the second stage of an apiguard treatement and the second tray has been in the hive for 4 weeks now (so 6 weeks total treatment time). However, at this point, there is still some remainder that is crystalized and it doesn't seem like the bees are really doing much about it.

The instructions say:
When using a 50g aluminium tray, stir the crust with a hive tool to reactivate the remaining gel. Alternatively, the remainder could be spread onto a flat surface (e.g. card, no larger than about 10 cm x 10 cm / 4” x 4”). If there is only a small amount of gel remaining, smear it over a smaller area on the top of the brood frames.

Any experience with this? I tried stirring it, but that did nothing, it's like stirring sugar, it's still sugar. Should I just dispose of it myself? Should I put it on a card like they suggest and just leave it indefinitely? though I don't see how that's any different than just leaving the tray in. Also I am worried they are not going to do anything about it and I'd like to get one more inspection/mite check in before they lock down for winter.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Take a sniff of it. If it hasn't got much smell left it won't do much for the mites any more you can just chuck it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a sniff of it. If it hasn't got much smell left it won't do much for the mites any more you can just chuck it.
It's still stinky, so just keep on keeping on? Can I do a mite check and inspection even if I plan on leaving it then? I haven't inspected in 6 weeks, so want to make sure mite level is now OK and check how their stores are doing. Not much time before winter now.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Yes definately check the hive.

If it's still stinky, the idea of putting it on a card is to force the bees to use it one way or another, as they chew the card or it disintegrates. So to get it used up just put whatever remains on a small enough bit of paper or cardboard then put that on the frames over the brood, and the bees should take care of it.

Re the mite test, be aware that apiguard only works when temperatures are right plus other factors, it is not always 100%. So if it's looking like you still got mites, may have to resort to a non temperature dependent treatment such as apivar strips.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
there is almost always some residue left, remove the card and put it in the trash, the residue isn't doing anything. a check now for mites doesn't tell you how effective the apiguard was as you could have picked up mites from other hives. but it's always good to test. add your location as it helps to answer questions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts