Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work with a company that sell chemicals and have historically had people with horse barns or kennels ask for atomizing sprayers. We will occasionally buy one for a customer but it is not our main business. With everything going on with COVID, the commercial ones we historically bought have been on back order but with that I am now seeing a lot of atomizers at lower prices on Amazon. I would if this would work either as a replacement for oav or oa drip. Here is an example product. There are also smaller and much cheaper ones available this was just the first search.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
What problem with drip do you hope to solve with this product?
Your replacing a $0.75 syringe with a $250 unit that you still need to drag a battery and inverter around... so at that point what OAV problem are you looking to solve?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What problem with drip do you hope to solve with this product?
Your replacing a $0.75 syringe with a $250 unit that you still need to drag a battery and inverter around... so at that point what OAV problem are you looking to solve?
It would be ease of application by applying like OAV, but unlike OAV you would not need to lug a car battery or generator. Another benefit might be better coverage in the hive than dribble and this may lead to how effective it is. If price was everyone's only issue with dribble why would anyone do OAV? There is a cost to OAV also. You can also find some foggers in the $60 range.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
475 Posts
Since it is 110 volt you still need power source.
Dribble is recommended to be a one time a year treatment while the hive is broodless, since the syrup is injested by the bees it is only supposed to be once a year.
OAV forms a cloud of very fine dry crystals, to get the same coverage with a fogger or mister would take a larger volume of liquid.
There are multiple threads about using foggers, most don't seem to give reliable results over time.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Dribble is recommended to be a one time a year treatment while the hive is broodless, since the syrup is injested by the bees it is only supposed to be once a year.
Here is the directions for varroa med (EU prepacked dribble) as we can see its used much more then 1x a year

the key is to only dribble winter bees one time
in Maggi 2016 the commercial apiary used for the study was dribbled 8 times a year for 8 years

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just don't see what you are trying to accomplish with the fogger/mister. I guess it depends on how many hives you are treating. One of my hives is a ******* longhive. I did dribble OA a couple of times but I found it faster and with better coverage to use a $.99 spray bottle (think windex). If you are treating 50 - 100 hives a garden sprayer works well (see scientificbeekeeping,com). Randy Oliver in a fairly large operation. As far as cost/application is concerned, I don't thinl there is a less expensive Miticide on the market, OAV used correctly and on some type of schedule is very affective and has many ways to be applied.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,209 Posts
I am not sure that I would want to use Windex on my bees... :unsure: Did get a garden sprayer for sugar syrup though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts