Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to by some mediums with drawn frame, age unknown. I've not seen them yet. Is the disease risk in honey supers something to be concerned about? I'm familiar with the risk of buying old brood frames is there the same risk in buying used honey supers? :scratch:
The opportunity interests me as I'd get a jump on honey production, yet I don't want to incur a high risk. Would you rate risks as low, medium, or high. Thanks, Adrian.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,990 Posts
I always hesitate to offer advice on the subject. Of course if you use them and then get AFB you will:

1) assume it was the supers, even if it wasn't
2) blame me for bad advice.

You have to decide your own willingness to take any risk.

That said, I have adopted used boxes, both brood and supers, for years, never scorched them and had good luck. I did always search the brood combs for AFB scale, and ask the beekeeper questions to try to ascertain the cause of the hives' demise, but I never got AFB.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just inheireted a bunch of frames and boxes. I did ask the guy and he did have AFB. So now they are sitting in my son's garage , while I scratch my head.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Adrian, you could not pay me to take used comb. Several years ago we did a little experiment. Bought 20 gives worth of new equipment, put in 20 packages. Wow, what a difference from the old equipment. We do not even mix the equipment in the field now. The yards is all old, or all new, and we only work one kind in a day, or work new, then old, never old, then new.

Roland

1 - 4 of 4 Posts