Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was installing my first nuc this morning and somehow, the queen fell out onto the ground and I either stepped on her, or the bottom board of the nuc box fell on her. I think she was on the last frame of brood. I didn't realize it until I was cleaning everything up after I'd closed the hive and saw several bees clustered around something on the ground. Yep, long golden abdomen is all that is left...Talked to my mentor who I bought the nuc from and he suggested that we wait 3 days and see if they make an emergency cell or two and then make a decision then. He'll likely have more queens in a week or so.

Ironically, this was a "free" queen I won at our bee association meeting in March. Only cost me $25 in tickets for the fundraiser.

There were some swarm cells on the bottom of a couple of the frames and the whole thing is chock full of brood and eggs, so hopefully we'll see a new queen in a few weeks. Just about made me sick. But my mentor said, "Welcome to beekeeping!"

·
Registered
199 Posts
"Experience is a good teacher, but the tuition is pretty high."
"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I am confused. Your mentor said to wait three days and see if they make E cells, but you already have swarm cells on the bottoms of a couple of frames? You did not destroy them did you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then, to top it off, when my wife got home from shopping, we went out to the hives and I was telling her about what happened and we were sitting down and watching the girls orient to the hive and one started buzzing around my head, landed on my ear and gave me my first sting of this grand adventure.

Well, at least I got two things out of the way early in my beek adventure.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Then, to top it off, one started buzzing around my head, landed on my ear and gave me my first sting of this grand adventure.
The first of many to come. See, they are not so bad. Although, the ear is one of my more tender spots.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Swarm cells with egg, larvae, pupae in them or queen cups that are empty? If your mentor sold / gave you a nuc with queen cells you are gonna need a new mentor.... I guess mistakes can happen but if a nuc swarms I would expect it to be lack of dilligence on the new beeks part not on the producers part.... If they are empty queen cups that is normal....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not going to get into questioning or bashing my beekeeping friend. It happens. I helped him make the splits for this nuc and 12-15 others so the swarm cells may just be on bottoms of the frames the bees were on. His hives were popping a few weeks ago. I'm not even sure if I know enough to tell a new swarm cell from a misshapen drone cell yet.

Regardless, there were not any queen cups higher up on the frames.

Today, the bees are making orientation flights and I see some pollen coming in on quite a few of the girls. I'll check the hive on Friday and look for and count queen cups. If I find more than just a couple, I guess I'll need to cull a few of them and then close the hive and stay completely out for a month or so. Should I slide the inner cover over to check the feeder every few days? I put half a gallon of 1:1 in it yesterday but we are starting to see more bloom here in southern Colorado, so maybe flow will get going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts