Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question hoping for smart answer!!!!

i have a 9 foot x 8 foot flatbed and was wondering which direction to set the hives on the truck - facing forward,facing out to the sides? inwards? facing the back so they can see where home used to be?? haha

but really would like to know - thanks for any input -

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
basic rule, facing outward. Why, well here is what someone older than me told me,

usual motion of the truck is side to side,
if you place the hives facing forward, the side to side movement would favour frame movement,

if you get what I mean,

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Remember to put the first one on 8" or better yet lay out your pallets or bottoms and mark with a piece of chalk. You can't have enough places to tie/hook.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Are you loading by hand, or are the bees on pallets? Short trip?

I pollinated apples for 20 years. Hives on bottom boards and loaded by hand. Yards within 25 miles of the orchard.

I liked to load with first row facing back and next row facing forward. Creates wide channels for added ventilation and blowing smoke through. Better than front to back because there is clustering space for the unscreened bees. Also all the bees are on the fronts of the hives. Front to back and the bees will be all over the hives.

Next rows...repeat the first two.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Used to load semis that way too, by hand. And when I used warehouse pallets exclusively that's how they went on the truck. Now that I use 4 ways the combs are 90 degrees, or across the truck rather than inline w/ it. I never noticed any difference in the condition of the comb or the colonies.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i just use the regular 2" ratchet straps in my opinion it is a much better way to go than the winches( i have used the winches before only for about a month). This way you can put them any where you want on you truck, cause on a bee truck your not always hauling bees. So the more options that you have to strap the better. Also you don't need the tool to tighten the straps, i know with me that would be left where i loaded the hives and i wouldnt find out about it till i got to the next spot to unload :) .
just my thoughts
Nick

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no nascar??? but ....but....but ..... thought i could get a few more miles in that day!!!! Just Kidding

we will be using a 2 ton tele crane to load the hives

the reason i wanted to go with the winch straps in that they are 4 inch straps and less likely to get knots in them - seems i have 5 gallon buckets full of old ratchet straps that are full of knots and that dont work anymore

i figure if i ever need a different strapping method i would just use cheap ratchet straps for that task -

i like the cheap ratchet straps for keeping hives together though

thank you everyone for your input !!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
What kind of rig to you have for the crane for going under the hive? I guess forks if you use pallets. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts