Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have plans for have hives with rough cut lumber. I'm assuming that the plans posted here are for planed lumber that is actually only 3/4" thick. Doesn't it mess with the inside dimensions if you use 1" thick wood?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Just keep the inside the same as the plan make sur the extra is on the outside so that the frames will fit inside and keep the beespace.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Why do you want to do this? If the time comes when your wife wants to sell your equipment there would be very few folks who would want to buy it because it wouldn't match up w/ standard equipment. Plane your lumber and build your equipment to standard dimensions.

Or is this for a TBH? If so, forget what I wrote.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Eaglerock mentioned building hives w/ rough cut lumber so that the bees would propolize the insides. He's also a no-treatment honey producer.

Was that what you were thinking?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Propolize the insides? They do that w/ planed lumber too. How much propolizing do you want? And wouldn't you want to avoid the splinters?

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
That's one of the few reasons that I can think of as to why someone would want to have rough cut surfaces on a hive.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Bees do propolize rough wood more than smooth. To compensate for thicker wood just make your dovetails or rabbet joints the wood thickness. There is enough space in a standard Langstroth for variations of 3/16 inch. There is at least one supplier of 7/8 thick equipment. In poorer countries they build with watever we can find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts