Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have honey left over from last fall that I planned on feeding back to bees. I picked up a few new hives from wild swarms this year and I am feeding thm right now to build wax and population. I want to dilute this honey to feed to them but don't know what the ratio is. I am trying to simulate a continued nectar flow. Any advice?

Eric

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Honey is usually between 16% and 18% water.
Or 84% to 82% solids. For fall you want it
to be close to 2:1 ratio, spring or brood
stimulation is 1:1.

[ August 05, 2006, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Sundance ]

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
For fall feeding 2 parts sugar is generally mixed with 1 part water. For spring feeding 1 part sugar is generally mixed with 1 part water.

If it was me, I'd just give them the honey the way it is.

[ August 05, 2006, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Dick Allen ]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok now just to make sure I got this...

Typically, you all are feeding 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.....Is this by weight or volume?

I have honey from comb I cut that didn't fit in the frames. I'd like to feed this back to the bees. When you're feeding their own honey back to them, there isn't a need to dilute it with water. Correct?

Carla

[ August 06, 2006, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: FlipFlopFarmer ]

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Personally, most times I do 1:1 until late
fall.

You can just set the comb out, try to put
some distance between the comb and hives.
Like a couple hundred feet if you can to
discourage robbing.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
By weight or by volume, it is the same. One gallon of water weighs the same as one gallon of sugar, for all practical purposes. I mix 10 lb sugar to one gallon water. It is just over 1:1, but works well.

As Sundance says, just place the comb away from your hives a ways and be sure it doesn't puddle deep enough to drown them. Diluting it is unnecessary.

·
Super Moderator
1,899 Posts
Dick, remind me for a taste of Meadowfoam / Blackberry honey if you come down to Oregon in the fall.
Already comes with a mild vanilla flavor right out of the meadowfoam field.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts