Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading about ALL the multiple ways to address the late summer/autumn yellow jacket issues everyone has. Now that the drones are starting to get kicked/dragged out of the hives, the yellow jackets are taking full advantage of that though not totally out of control. So, question:
One article I read via keeping backyard bees talked about protein based "lures" [the whole canned cat food/tuna thing] tainted/laced with Frontline flea and tick drops. Supposedly it does not immediately kill the yellow jacket retrieving the food, but when carried back to the nest, winds up fed and kills them where they live? Anyone try it or heard of it before?

The bees have sucessfully been defending the hives [all top bar hole entries], but then again...

I've got all the basic traps out plus been catching some in our AGH traps we monitor as part of the citizen brigade here in Washington State. But I don't believe in one and only one strategy.

Thanks.
Gary, Olympia WA

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was reading about ALL the multiple ways to address the late summer/autumn yellow jacket issues everyone has. Now that the drones are starting to get kicked/dragged out of the hives, the yellow jackets are taking full advantage of that though not totally out of control. So, question:
One article I read via keeping backyard bees talked about protein based "lures" [the whole canned cat food/tuna thing] tainted/laced with Frontline flea and tick drops. Supposedly it does not immediately kill the yellow jacket retrieving the food, but when carried back to the nest, winds up fed and kills them where they live? Anyone try it or heard of it before?

The bees have sucessfully been defending the hives [all top bar hole entries], but then again...

I've got all the basic traps out plus been catching some in our AGH traps we monitor as part of the citizen brigade here in Washington State. But I don't believe in one and only one strategy.

Thanks.
Gary, Olympia WA
Well never mind...found more than one person in a different forum saying YES they used it and it worked real well. Off we go to try. We have livestock guardian dogs and Frontline is never in short supply.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I did this last year, not having a bad yellow jacket season this year for some reason. In any case, yes this works awesome! You only need 3-4 drops. Leave the can out near your hives. Took about 3 days last year then I didn't see a yellow jacket for about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
635 Posts
Best way is- strong healthy colonies can defend the best, weak or small ones get robbed out by robbers or wasps. Use a robbing screen like BeeSmart. (Haven't had a problem since I started using these.) My colonies are so strong that I haven't put traps out. Proper nutrition and mite management is a must.

Fipronil is the active ingredient to look for. Be careful, it kills indiscriminately. Whitefish tuna cat food works well. I would put it in a suet cage to avoid having any other animal eat it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS to both. Yup summer mite treatments happening. Hives are strong and healthy. Dearth feeding as a CYA. Going after the YJs as a thing to avoid a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts