Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly strong 5-frame nuc (bees are covering about 4 frames or so) that I want to overwinter. They have some stores and they have a syrup feeder on top of the nuc, but I have a second box I was going to put on top of it so I could add some capped honey for some winter stores. However, I only have medium frames available with capped honey.

1) If I put medium frames of capped honey in a "deep" 5-frame nuc box will that cause any issues (other than some burr comb)? If I do add those medium frames, would it be wise to add an empty deep frame to act as a ladder for the bees to get up to the stores easier?

2) Should I just keep the nuc in a single 5-frame box for the winter and forego adding a box on top?

3) If I go with only a single 5-frame box, how much capped honey should be available to give them a good chance to overwinter successfully?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I don't think they have time to fill in that much space to be able to stay in contact stores.

#4 cut a nuc box down so the frames are closer to the cluster.
Then you have a box to place undrawn frames in NEXT summer to be drawn out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
grab some 3/4 " boards and nail together a box ( honey super depth ), put honey store frames in there, and put it on the nuc. Then you are good to go.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I think I will just cut my box down or buy one so that I have a medium nuc box to fit those frames of capped honey I have.

How many frames of capped honey should I aim for to give this nuc a good chance for overwintering success? If extra food is needed during the winter or early spring would it be ok to feed dry sugar (mountain camp style) or have others used another method with success for a nuc? I appreciate the suggestions.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Thanks! I think I will just cut my box down or buy one so that I have a medium nuc box to fit those frames of capped honey I have.

How many frames of capped honey should I aim for to give this nuc a good chance for overwintering success?
Now yer thinkin'. Fill up the medium nuc box with honey combs, and continue to feed until bottom deep is at least half stores.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

How many frames of capped honey should I aim for to give this nuc a good chance for overwintering success? If extra food is needed during the winter or early spring would it be ok to feed dry sugar (mountain camp style) or have others used another method with success for a nuc? I appreciate the suggestions.
fill it up so 5 if it is a 5 frame NUC. I have several medium depth NUC boxes for exact ally this issue.

GG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts