Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting some Styrofoam mating nucs and see that Mann Lake has two models. One is a single with three mini frames the other is two minis divided with feeders. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Can you leave a queen in for 21 days or are these two small? How much feed can you get in the double nucs feeders?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The two sided ones can hold a larger volume of bees. It seems like it would be a stretch to get 21 days on the single baby nucs although I have not tried them yet, just basing that on what I have observed in bigger nucs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have used the single ones, no problem, even overwintered few.
I would recommend the German ones from Bee Works in Canada, they are larger.
Most of my mating nucs now are 5 half deep frames, singles and quads. I do use deep suppers for the single ones which can be split.
The size of the nuc can make a difference if you have a SHB problem.
Gilman

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do those from beeworks have a q. excluder blocking the feeder? I fear the shipping to get a bunch down here.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The Double 3 frame nuc from MannLake the feeder holds about a quart Each there is approximately total of 5,300 cells on the 3 frames You will not benefit any letting the queen stay in the nuc 21 days from the time she begins laying She will have the frames plugged out with brood and pollen and feed in about 10-12 days at the most some will have them plugged in 8-10 days after she begins to lay and the queen will just be in there roaming around may lay a egg here and there 7-10 days would be a good number of days at the most.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That is something I have never been clear about. Did that study talk about queens being left in the mating nucs for 21 days from the ripe cell being put in or 21 days from when she starts laying?

·
Registered
970 Posts
if this is from ripe Queen Cell 21 days would let the queen lay for about 9-10 day lay time 1 Day Hatch + 7 day to mating + 3day begains to lay now this all depends if the weather is good for mating = 11 days + 10 day laying will = 21 days

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, so when people say that leaving the queen in for 21 days cuts down on superceedure is this laying for 21 days or as you pointed out only 10 days laying and they count the emerging/ mating days for a total of 21?

·
Registered
970 Posts
If the queen is good to begin with raised good and maited good There should not be any differance. Supercedure usally happens when something is not right with the queen

You can pull a queen out of a hive and place a queen cell in the next day and when she hatches it takes time before she lays
they dont try tp replace her

1 - 11 of 11 Posts