Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point in the right direction to find info on the difference between the cappings waxes? I understand that it is the same wax, but how do the bees manipulate to form the smooth white cappings for honey and the orange/ brown bumpy brood cappings? Several searches (using different key words) of this site and others have lead me no where. Giving a presentation on brood next month and wanted to present an explanation of how they are different. Thank you in advance for any help.

Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
pretty sure thats just travel staining on the brood cappings due to the ammount of bees that walk on it vs new wax over honey

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Can anyone point in the right direction to find info on the difference between the cappings waxes? I understand that it is the same wax, but how do the bees manipulate to form the smooth white cappings for honey and the orange/ brown bumpy brood cappings? Several searches (using different key words) of this site and others have lead me no where. Giving a presentation on brood next month and wanted to present an explanation of how they are different. Thank you in advance for any help.

Dave
There is difference in cap porosity, and so cap construction and the cap materials used (which in turn creates different appearance).
Capped brood needs to breath through the caps or it will die.
Capped honey needs to be sealed completely or it will absorb moisture and may go bad.
I know I read all of this from some good source while back; try googling again.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Brood capping is made with pollen and wax. The emerging bee consumes the cap.

I read that somewhere.

Alex

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty sure thats just travel staining on the brood cappings due to the ammount of bees that walk on it vs new wax over honey
Thank you for replying. If that was the case, you would see varying differences in the color.

·
Registered
323 Posts
"Cappings placed over honey cells are generally 100% new wax, those over brood are only partly wax.
Old wax is used in capping brood cells and often contains pollen, propolis and bits of cocoons."

From "What Do You Know" by Clarence Collison, pg. 63

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Cappings placed over honey cells are generally 100% new wax, those over brood are only partly wax.
Old wax is used in capping brood cells and often contains pollen, propolis and bits of cocoons."

From "What Do You Know" by Clarence Collison, pg. 63
You are they bomb. Even own the book, but a friend of mine has it as he studies for Master Beekeeper!

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have seen it written somewhere that the brood cappings are deliberately porous to allow oxygen / CO2 exchange necessary for the developing larva / pupa.

Honey cell cappings is much less porous although some moisture can be picked up or dropped depending on surrounding air humidity.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Brood wax cappings are typically recycled wax since most of the year there is not a flow to stimulate wax glands. Honey caps are typically new wax because honey is really only being stored when the glands are stimulated by honey flow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brood wax cappings are typically recycled wax since most of the year there is not a flow to stimulate wax glands. Honey caps are typically new wax because honey is really only being stored when the glands are stimulated by honey flow.
So what happens with top bar hives which have only new comb. Just asking, as I’m setting up my first top bar.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
what is stated is true
honey cappings are 100% wax and "seal" the honey.

brood cappings are generally chewed cocoons and wax in a mixture to be gas permeable.
in the case of first brood, like a package or swarm the first cappings are made with wax and pollen mixture to get to the desired gas permeability. the brood needs air exchange the honey does not.

GG

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
So what happens with top bar hives which have only new comb.
New comb is being built in ANY hive as needed, not just the top bar.
Just as old comb is found in ANY have (including the top bar).

The same thing happens as everywhere.
Brand new combs have light brood caps.
Dark combs have dark brood caps.
Either dark or light brood caps are made the same way - they are made to be gas permeable.
However, the fresh wax is NOT always available when the brood is raised - and so the bees do with what they have right there and then (be it February or March) - they recycle the old material.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
The oldtimers would claim that wax from brood chambers was better for making foudation. They claimed it had picked up oils from the outside of the bees.

crazy Roland

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks. That makes good sense.
New comb is being built in ANY hive as needed, not just the top bar.
Just as old comb is found in ANY have (including the top bar).

The same thing happens as everywhere.
Brand new combs have light brood caps.
Dark combs have dark brood caps.
Either dark or light brood caps are made the same way - they are made to be gas permeable.
However, the fresh wax is NOT always available when the brood is raised - and so the bees do with what they have right there and then (be it February or March) - they recycle the old material.

·
Registered
944 Posts
And then there is "wet vs dry cappings" that give the appearance of a color difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And then there is "wet vs dry cappings" that give the appearance of a color difference.

Thanks. I did not know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts