Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hives that are spaced 3 ft apart and facing the same direction.
Both Hives were started from NUCs, installed 3 days apart. NUCs were bought from two different suppliers, but later found out the came from the same bee yard down south. So I assume the bee races are the same. They both were feed with the same method (top feeder). Both hives are painted. One hive has letter markings on the front to distinguish it from the other hive.

During today's inspection, one hive has filled two deeps already and needed a super added. The other hive barely has finished the first deep.

Any idea on what's going on? Do I have a drifting problem? Can I take one or two frames from the prosperous hive and put in the weak hive?

Thanks.
Ryan

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is it just a comb drawing difference or are the queens generating different amounts of brood?

You can donate frames of brood from the busier hive but that may just mask the fact that you have a slow queen if she's not laying as many eggs as the other. You may want to consider re-queening the slower of the two hives.

This is exactly why it is good to have at least two hives--so that you can identify differences that may be caused by a problem. It would be good if they were both getting along about the same but the idea is not for the beekeeper to manipulate them into the same condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts